This year’s spiritual emphasis theme is Take the Towel – choosing to serve others out of the overflow of our love for God. Next week is our Spiritual Emphasis Week and our junior high and high school students will have two opportunities to walk out that theme.
On Monday, January 27, students will be going to Bernie’s Book Bank in Lake Bluff. This will be our first time as a large group partnering with this organization. Bernie’s Book Bank sources, processes and distributes quality new and gently used children’s books to significantly increase book ownership among at-risk infants, toddlers, and school-age children throughout Chicagoland. 2019 was their 10th anniversary and 17 million books have been distributed through them since their inception.
If you would like to donate new or gently used children’s books (sorry, no spiritual themes allowed) for us to bring on January 27, please bring them to the office. If you’d like to be a driver for this trip, please contact the office.
Then on Thursday, January 30, they will all head out to Feed My Starving Children’s (FMSC) Libertyville packing warehouse and serve there. Help fund our Feed-My-Starving-Children service project on Thursday, January 30.
Here are a few interesting statistics from FMSC:
- $88 feeds a child for a year; a dollar a day (or $365) feeds an entire family
- $52 is the average value of food produced/packed per person in a two-hour service period
- $3600 is the approximate value of food Westlake will pack on January 30
Would you consider contributing to support FMSC’s efforts?
- Fast for lunch on January 30 and contribute the cost of your lunch
- Give out of your own resources
- Adults: we’d love to have you join us in transporting and/or packing. If you are available, please contact the office.
Donations are tax-deductible and checks can be made to Feed My Starving Children. We would like to bring our donation with us on that day, so if you are planning on giving and give ahead of time that would make it convenient for us to include it on our service project day. Donations can be dropped off in the office.